Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The King(s) and I

From Charles II, to Henry VIII, to the Lion King- today was a day of kings and royalty.

What looked like another rainy day turned out to be another beautiful day at Hampton Court. CONFESSION. This was my favorite attraction I have seen thus far. We got to dress in these old robes and then take the audio tour. There is the King Henry III portion which I did the full audio tours for the Kitchen (amazing how hard it was and everything to go through to cook for so many at the finest and fanciest, in your face kind of quality) and the apartments which included my favorite chapel. It had the top  where King Henry III and Katherine knelt all fancy looking over the chapel. I still think all the churches here are a little cold and creepy but this chapel was beautiful. I am probably just bias because the ceiling was blue with all these gold arches though :)







Then we went through a special addition of art showcasing the drama behind some of the Kings. We all know Henry III had all the wives but turns out Charles II had all the whores. It is really ironic and hypocritical how sleazy some of these kings were and how different society treated women. For one, pasty is pretty.... point made.

Then at the end of this gallery we saw a glimpse of the gardens. With minimal time left to tour we decided to skip on the new addition by William and Mary and spend the time walking the beautiful grounds and I know my allergies are going to pay!!

























We then caught a quick lunch there and went to the maze. Turns out you had to pay and we were low on time from all of our frolicking in the garden so here is the maze we almost went to.



Then after our dinner was my second Broadway and third play. I was really excited to see the Lion King again because the other time I saw it I was in seventh grade and think I kind of blew it over because I was so obsessed with phantom. Plus, I know this sounds stupid, I feel like Africa gave me more appreciation for this. My favorite animals are all African safari animals so not only was I seeing amazing costuming, but seeing my favorite animals!! I also got to hear African accents from all the actors and then Simba's fake African accent with his British voice. Overall though I was very impressed, can't stop humming "He Lives in You" and loved it. It is such a great production. I think besides Simba's voice bugging me, it was better (or at least I appreciate it more) than the one I saw in New York.



Then we went to the Waffle Palace for desert and got a milkshake and let me say they got nothing on Fentons. I do want to go back for breakfast maybe on a Saturday because it sounds a lot like the Awful Waffle in Provo which is anything but "awful.

P.S. Mullers yogurts are my newest addiction here in London. Going to miss them so much in the states. Its mix in yogurt we have here for breakfast and its amazing. Strawberry short cake (strawberry ice-cream with white chocolate pieces) or plain yogurt with toffee pieces. Yummmm! Want to try the banana one tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment