Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Is this what the freshmen 15 feels like?

Class today was another usually rough 3 hours. Which was spent stalking Facebook, twitter, and blogs (one that my family hasn't had updated since february... how embarrassing....) haha! Then as a class we went to the Churchill war rooms. I thought this was way neat, despite how tired I was for having class a whole thirty minutes early (it seemed like a big deal ok?). I think Churchill is a really interesting guy, definitely a controversial figure but no matter what you think about him, you got to give it to him for his speeches and his humor. I just loved reading the quotes on everything! The exhibits were way cool and interactive- I wish I had more energy and more time to look into them. Maybe at another point in my life.


Then after, we fought the Jubilee crowds for the last day of celebration when the Queen and the royal family were going to be riding on a coach all around town. In this madness, we "tried" to do our Mrs. Dalloway walk assignment. Let me just say this is the most ridiculous assignment ever.



The only part I really liked about this novel is how she references all these places, by name, in London that we have been too. But for this assignment, we have to go and trace all these places in order they are mentioned in the book even though we have already seen them all. We did a little over a third of it today but couldn't get around to the rest because of everything being blocked off and the huge crowds. So now I have to take more of my limited time left in London to figure that out.. no fun.

We did happen to go into this famous little (I mean huge and fancy) grocery store. I was starving (all I had so far was a Ben's cookie on our class break for my breakfast, which I slept through this morning haha) so I got two pieces of chocolate. It made me feel like I was in Belguim again trying a couple chocolates at a time.



We also strolled down Bond street as part of the walk which was cool because I haven't been there before and it was one of my 5 places to see assignment that I whopped out really fast for the prep class! We also ended up stopping at Ben's cookies again. Don't even ask... haha But turns out there is one in Salt Lake so that is promising :)

Then we came back to the centre for our Tea Party with scones and clotted cream to watch the procession of the Queen. It was slightly anti-climatic. I stayed a little bit to watch though and sort out the whole family line present. Son Charles who married Diana, cheated on her, got with Camilla. Sons Harry and Will. Will married Kate. Kate is great... love all her classy, modest dresses!

Then I headed up stairs to finish up some of Mrs. Dalloway and try to fix all my audio clips for my video. I made it all the way up to Venice in my slideshow and then they all decide not to work. Lovely :(

I then awaited to be hungry for dinner. I then grabbed pizza later that night from a place over near Notting hill and Portebello with Kayley for an amazing meat lover like slab of pizza we took back to the centre. I loved it!

We then chatted with the TA Paige about paper ideas for our History and Memory paper due Saturday. I think I am doing the view on the American Revolution here in Britain. I then went upstairs to even maybe start on it when Kate come up. We had a funny convo that went kind of like this....

So we headed back to the street where we got pizza to find out gelato mio was closed. Sad day. We did however, run into a drunk Brit who was asking us where to find the nearest pub haha totally hammered on a Tuesday night and was so mad he had to walk like a whole 3 minutes to find one.

We did make up for the gelato with a Magnum bar from one of the little local mini convenience stores on the way back. I tried the white chocolate kind! I really am a white chocolate kind of girl :)

So I didn't manage to start on my paper but I did decide on a topic with a little outline and finished Mrs. Dalloway just before I started this blog. And guess what? It's not even 1 am yet, I got 4 more minutes haha.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings :)

hey kennedy, you want to go get gelato? you can't say no.....
I have had ice-cream, pizza, and 5 Ben's cookies in the last 10 hours...
But you are a garbage disposal it doesn't even matter! Come!
I don't want to be a garbage disposal!!!

1 comment:

  1. I know, I know! I am so far behind on my blog! You are putting me to shame. It is on my "to-do" list I promise!

    ReplyDelete