Ok first and foremost I need to post a picture of my money
before I spend it all! Haha
Now that I got that out of the way, my first true day in
London without being 100% jetlagged and at least 40% there… We had classes
today! It was our first day and what should be overwhelming (so much reading)
wasn’t because this whole thing all seems so surreal. School? Homework? London?
Not happening. I really am going to try though, just so much reading!!!
Since it is a summer term we also are cramming so much into
such a short period of time so whenever we are in class we are in there awhile.
We went a little over our 3 hours today because of London Centre info stuff so
had a quick lunch before going to St. Paul’s. I can now say I have officially
had nutella, and not juuuust nutella but a nutella and peanut butter sandwich.
Not only was this delicious, it was also like a
huge peanut butter cup in my mouth!
Being in London I think finally starts to hit me when I got
on the tube and swiped my little oyster card. We are really close to Queensway,
Notting Hill and Bayswater stops but I personally think Queensway is the
closest or at least the easiest to find.
Then we had St. Paul’s “Supertour” (I left my supertour
sticker on for about 2 hours after the tour- stupid tourist move, not blending
in, etc. etc.). Our old British tour lady was super smart and she actually kept
my attention for the majority of this long tour. Some of my favorites here are
the Cripts there is a grave for Crockshanks (probably where JK Rowling got the
name for Hermione’s cat) and the memorial for the war general who surrendered
during the American Revolution despite that fact not being mentioned on his
memorial at all! Haha Got to love how selective history can be sometimes.
We also climbed over 520 steps up to the top of the dome
which is very significant because it was hidden in the original design plan of
this Anglican building because of dome’s being more common in Rome. We got to
walk up and walk around the railing inside the dome and outside and get these
beautiful views of London. It was so cool seeing things like the London Bridge,
London Eye, Tower of London, Thames River, and all these sites we have set to
see.
I also have embraced the fact I am a tourist. I want to take
pictures like a tourist and will act like one as I have never seen this before.
So I am giving my self a week or two to be an absolute tourist then I will try
to be a Britt. For example, I don’t think American and British girls look alike
and can’t tell them apart until I hear an accent or not. Then aa guy in the
program told me to look around and see if any locals have blonde curly hair.. Guess
who is straightening their hair tomorrow? Haha
Then tonight I took the double decker to see Billy Elliot. Good dancing, rude audience that was cracking up everytime this terets guy made any noise but the accents were cool to hear on stage. Although it made it where none of the songs will be stuck in my head! Also, more f bombs in that play then I have heard all year haha but not too shabby. Can’t wait to see all the other plays and experiences more adventures ahead J




I have heard that JK Rowling got most her names from tombstones! Nutella and F bombs...sounds like a full day! So glad you are writing every day - with the time difference this might be the best way to hear from you!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting and I love that you are blogging so we can 'travel' with you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful experience you are having!
Reading your journal will hopefully help me remember the sights of London I have experienced but sadly didn't keep a journal of when I was there..
Makes me tired just reading how much you are doing. Travel is fun, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteGrampa
Oh I love seeing the photos now!!!! Good girl! Take lots of photos!
ReplyDelete