Thursday, September 6, 2012

Working Woman

So since last Thursday a lot has happened... and before any ideas get going- no this has nothing to do with boys, dates, or getting married. Don't worry. It has just been a very eventful week where I am learning alot more about myself and what I want to do with my life which is kinda a big deal at this stage I am at.

Well before I go into that deep stuff here is some exciting things- I went to the first football game where we showed we were the true cougs, sorry WSU for the loss, where I got to be united with a bunch of my lovely London ladies on you know.. the FRONT ROW. I also forgot it was a white out so was the obvious blonde girl wearing blue on the jumbo tron at least 5 times, maybe even ESPN. I then got asked by a guy from my ward last year Tanner, who is now in the ROTC, if I wanted to shoot the canon. Of course I did!! So I got to stand on the sidelines for the 4th quarter and I got to shoot it at the end of the game and got a free t-shirt to prove it.







I also got to do alot of other things with my London buddies. Desert parties, FHE crashing, Liberty Square party crashing, trying J-dawgs (hot dogs with a really sweet special sauce) for the first time. And yeah, it has been fun!! :) But for all the play hard there is also the work aspect, and I mean more than just school work but actual.... work.







For those who don't know, I now have a job. I am now Miss Kennedy at Orem Dance teaching two ballet classes. This semester I am taking a daily hour and a half contemporary class and absolutely love it and am reminded every day how much I love this important part of who I am, and that is dance. I had the best job in high school teaching dance and have thought about picking up a class for some extra cash here at school but I didn't really think it would happen when I sent my resume to a few studios in the area this summer.

So after submitting my resume for a hip hop job on Fridays, I got an interview, and then the job. Well, a job I didn't apply for. The need at the studio shifted since I applied and now they needed a ballet teacher. Luckily, my resume showed that I can do that too so I was asked if I could pick up these TWO classes on a Tuesday night. I thought I would be estatic to say yes and take it because that means another class which means more money, back to back, which means it actually is a profit from the gas money it takes to get there and its more dance.

Yet I had a few conflicts I needed to work through and really think about before I took this job. One obvious one was the fact I have a great New Testament evening class that same time. Then I also have to plan out the time commitment because it is ballet, which is alot of prep work and for two different levels. On top of that, this was my fun stress free year. Easy classes, good grades, and a social life. I wasn't too sure I was wanting to give up any of those. I also would have to stay in Utah a little longer than winter semester gets out. BUT I reaaaally was trying to convince myself I could do but I was indecisive and was stressing out about what to do. So of course, I prayed about it.

My answer wasn't really coming and I was getting nervous, all I was getting was make a decision on your own- it is your year and then the indecisiveness kicked back in and hence more stress. I emailed my professor and no reply, I offered to teach the first week to at least try it out but I wasn't making any final decisions til I had my answer and was sure about it. Then the next day I was going through my drawer and came across my patriarchal blessing- oh how I love that thing. I am pretty sure this was my first experience reading over it and having something mean something different then the first time I read it and it was clear this was my answer.

"I bless you in your dancing and music activities that you might be successful in those things you set out to do for yourself and that as you go to the university and receive your credentials that the Lord will bless you and help you in all of these activities."

It was literally the perfect answer. I knew then that it was ok that I was feeling stressed about this decision because I knew how bad I wanted to take the job despite my other priorities, but while I am here at this University, working on my credentials, I know the Lord is going to help me in this area as well. And that was even clearer when the following day I got an email from my professor with the time conflict who is totally working with my schedule. Then I got to go try out the classes and loved it. It felt so good to be teaching again, it really is my passion.

And I know that this is so different from nursing so it is weird but I still want to do both. And I know that the Lord will help me achieve both of these. There was a girl in my class that night even that told me, "You look like a dancer... but you also look like a nurse." haha. I love that because that is what I hope to be some day.

I also am taking a Marriage and Family class that I love. And it is making me even more excited to be a Mom one day and making me realize what a divine role that is. So when I grow up, I am going to be a dancer, a nurse, and a Mom. And I know that with some help from up above, I can.

Since taking the job I am up to date on all m y assignments gotten A's on all my quizzes and my first exam that I took earlier today and am all caught up that I will have time for hopefully a lot of fun this weekend. So far so good I guess you can say. A little busier isn't always a bad thing, I work good under a busy schedule because I know I have to stay on top of it and up to date to be successful. It really has only reenforced my drive to work hard in not only my new job but my studies. I am so much more efficient and my study breaks are so much more refreshing when I am planning a dance combo at the barre instead of just eating a snack or going on Facebook.

I also am walking up the dreaded stairs South of campus and the RB stairs daily, on top of my now 8+ hours of dance a week so I think it is safe to say that the Sophmore Sixteen is going to be avoided. I also haven't bought any pop these 2 weeks and finally broke down and made some PB cookies tonight (since my milk is about to expire from my lack of chocolate/cookie consumption).

So in conclusion (ok this is a blog post, NOT an essay- but see how studious I am?!) I am loving life. I am being healthy, dancing, learning, and loving BYU more and more everyday.

3 comments:

  1. Yay Kennedy! So Exciting! I am glad you are doing well with school and work and I miss you oodles! Hopefully I will see you on campus one of these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, my little girl is growing up and getting all deep and philosophical on me! It is the neatest thing when you see how many times your answers are in your blessing and how prayers get answered. You are at a time in your life when more than ever you need to use these tools of your blessing and prayer in the decisions you make. And it feels good too to know that you are on the path Heavenly Father supports. I know you will be a great dancer, nurse and mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful blog Kennedy. You have so much to look forward to in your life and are living your dreams! I can just picture you teaching ballet, having fun on campus and studying to become a nurse! You always have set high goals for yourself and continue to achieve and along the way your faith continues to influence and guide you.

    ReplyDelete